The next generation Wireless Router has been released by NETGEAR, the R6300 WiFi Router. The first router to include Broadcom’s latest 5G Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11ac (5Ghz) chipset that can triple transfer rates for wireless networks, the first consumer Gigabit wireless router.
Broadcom’s new 802.11ac dual band chipset is able to operate at 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz simultaneously, allowing a greater number of connections to operate at higher speed. High powered radio amplifiers give the router exception range and assist with speed by guaranteeing signal strength.
While the new wireless chipset gets all of the headlines there is far more under the bonnet of the R6300. Also included are 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports, a dedicated DSL/Cable Modem Ethernet port, 2 USB ports (1 for printer and one for storage devices) and of course the dual high powered amplifiers being driven by Broadcom’s latest WiFi chipset. This feature rich router is aimed squarely at the top end of the home consumer market, with the $200 USD price tag and a feature list as long as your arm NETGEAR seems to have struck the perfect balance with the R6300.
NETGEAR claim the new router is 3 times faster than today’s quickest 802.11n routers. Easily reaching speeds up to 1300Mbps (on 5GHz) without breaking a sweet the R6300 is the first Gigabit router that will also keep your current generation devices operating at full speed, maxing out at 450Mbps on 2.4GHz signal. The 5Ghz speeds enable smooth streaming of Blu-Ray’s over Wi-Fi, or, if you are one of those households with multitudes of wireless devices the R6300 will ensure each devices can operate at its full speed. No longer will you be fighting for your share of the airwaves. The NETGEAR will divide the masses of available bandwidth between many devices, smartphones, tablets, media devices and PC’s all getting along.
Class leading WiFi security is guaranteed with one simple yet exceptionally good idea that should be a standard on ALL routers, the WiFi On/Off switch. Making the most secure WiFi setting easily accessible, with ‘WiFi OFF’ available at the click of a switch, no need to enter the routers setup software. WiFi security also includes the required industry standard protocol WiFi Protected Access (WPA/WPA2-PSK) along with the double firewall (SPI and NAT firewalls) and Denial Of Service attack prevention.
NETGEAR have recently greatly improved the software provided with their routers, the R6300 also includes the latest incarnation of NETGEAR’s Genie which simplifies network setup and maintenance through a single dashboard. Other features include DLNA compatibility for simple media sharing, parental controls, automatic Wi-Fi security along with ReadySHARE printer support and AirPrint which combine to allow any device to wireless print to USB and network printers.
According to Netgear “802.11ac is the next-generation of WiFi connectivity and is set to revolutionize the way we consume content wirelessly by delivering Internet speeds up to three times faster than consumers are used to experiencing,” said David Henry, vice president of product management, retail products at NETGEAR.” He goes on to say “NETGEAR’s leadership in the industry, and collaboration with Broadcom to introduce the first 802.11ac router, will future proof your network by ensuring your home is capable of supporting new faster 802.11ac devices as they begin to roll out this year.”
The NETGEAR R6300 is a well-rounded leading edge router. The latest chipset technology has been combined with NETGEAR’s evolving software to provide a solid router at an excellent price. Able to take on any gamer specific or consumer router and win hands down the R6300 will be available in May for $199.99 USD.
Reference: Netgear R6300
Other advanced features of the NETGEAR R6300 WiFi Router include:
- NETGEAR Genie®: This free app for PCs, Macs, iOS and Android smartphones and tablets enables home users to control, monitor, repair, and manage their home networks easily through a simple, elegant dashboard. NETGEAR customers can download the utility at https://www.netgear.com/genie or from the Google Play or App Store.
- NETGEAR MyMediaTM: The NETGEAR Genie mobile app feature provides the ability to find photos, video or music files anywhere on the network and play them on a DLNA media player.
- AirPrint TM Support: The NETGEAR Genie app enables users to print on any USB or networked printer directly from an iPad or iPhone.
- Guest network access: The NETGEAR Genie app makes setting up a guest network simple. Guests and visitors can go online through the router without the need for secure login information. The guest network also prevents users from seeing and accessing a household’s computers, printers, storage devices and other home network devices.
- ReadySHARE® Printer: Makes it easy to turn any existing USB printer into a fully functional networked printer that is fully compatible with Macs and PCs.
- Media Server-DLNA: The R6300 Router is DLNA ready and can stream to any DLNA compatible device in your house, including the latest Smart TVs, Blu-ray players, media players, game consoles, handheld devices, tablets and more.
- NETGEAR Live Parental Controls: Centralized, flexible, and reliable parental control solution for all the devices on the network, including Macs, Windows PCs, smartphones and tablets, for a safe online environment for children and teenagers. No subscription is required.
- Automatic WiFi Security: Comes with wireless security turned on out-of-the-box, complete with a pre-configured network name and password, protecting home WiFi networks by default.
- Easy Installation: No CD required so users can set it up with smartphones, tablets, ultrabooks, and even MacBook Air.
- 2 USB ports: To simultaneously support USB storage and USB printer on the router.